Counselling Psychology is a broad subfield of professional psychology that focuses on using psychological principles to improve and promote positive growth, well-being, and mental health in individuals, families, groups, and communities as a whole. Counseling psychologists approach their research and practice with collaboration, development, multiculturalism, and wellness in mind. They work with distressed people or those struggling with daily events and visible mental and physical health issues.
The vital two aspects of Counselling Psychology
Counseling psychology complies with a range of corresponding values and principles, and knowing these will give you a better idea about the subject.
- Counseling psychologists’ particular objective is to heal the individual
- Its approach is to assess, diagnose and conceptualize a holistic and client-centered problem.
What do psychologists do?
Counseling psychologists work together with people of all ages to help them deal with emotional, social, developmental, and other life issues. These professionals employ various techniques to assist people in managing behavioral issues, coping with stress, reducing anxiety and distress, and dealing with the issues related to mental disorders.
Where are psychologists to be found?
There are various places where you will find psychologists serving humanity.
- Counseling psychologists work in various ways, including private businesses, the military, government agencies, consulting firms, etc.
- Some professionals are professors, psychotherapy providers, and researchers in counselling psychology in academic settings.
- Many psychologists work in hospitals and mental health clinics, frequently collaborating with physicians and psychotherapists such as clinical psychologists, social workers, and mental health workers.
- Other counseling psychologists are self-employed and provide psychotherapy to individuals, families, corporate professionals, and groups.
What qualifications do you require to become a psychologist?
Some students earn a bachelor’s degree in a field such as psychology or social work, then a master’s degree in counseling or psychology prior to enrolling in a doctoral program for counseling psychology. In some cases, students can skip the master’s program entirely and enter a five- or six-year doctoral program directly from their undergraduate degree.
A degree like Psy.D., Ph.D., or Ed.D. must work as a counseling psychologist. A Doctor of Philosophy or Psychology degree is usually offered by a university’s psychology department, whereas a school’s college of education usually offers a Doctor of Education in counselling psychology.
How is counselling psychology different from clinical psychology?
The two fields of study often lead to confusion and therefore, let us give you a glimpse at the striking contrasts between the two.
- The professions differ in terms of training and education.
- Clinical psychologists typically concentrate on psychopathology.
- Counselling psychologists typically focus on overall well-being across the lifespan.
Counselling psychology has come a long way, and the fruits that it has borne are significant contributions to humankind. Its multifaceted merits have been instrumental in healing many mild, average and severe mental patients.
If you want to learn more about counseling psychology Kolkata, stay connected to MindYog’s digital platform and get detailed knowledge about this unique subject. We assure you that you will be delighted to learn more from us.
Review: Since I have been researching counselling psychology and MindYog’s blogs have been helpful in this regard. – Dr. Prakash Mathur